TORONTO CENTRAL LHIN WELCOMES NEW BOARD CHAIR AND DIRECTOR
Vivek Goel and Pamela Griffith-Jones appointed by Order in Council on November 16, 2016
TORONTO, ON (December 2, 2016 ) –The Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) is pleased to announce that Dr. Vivek Goel has been appointed Chair and Pamela Griffith-Jones has been appointed Director through an Order in Council from the Lieutenant Governor, as of November 16, 2016.
Dr. Goel will now serve a three-year term, leading the Board and the LHIN in its continuing mission of advancing the 2015-2018 Strategic Plan’s goals of a healthier Toronto, positive patient experiences and a sustainable system.
Dr. Vivek Goel obtained a Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Community Health from University of Toronto (U of T) and a M.Sc. in Biostatistics from Harvard University’s School of Public Health. His research has focused on health services evaluation. He was a founding scientist at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES), where he continues as an Adjunct Senior Scientist. Dr. Goel joined U of T in 1991 as Assistant Professor in the Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics.
He was founding President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Public Health Ontario from 2008 - 2014, where he was highly successful in building an academic public health services agency that provided scientific and technical advice to front-line practitioners. Prior to rejoining U of T, he served as Chief Academic Strategist with Coursera, a global platform that connects universities and learners with online courses. He was appointed Vice President, Research and Innovation of U of T in December 2014.
Ms. Griffith-Jones will bring exceptional leadership, experience and individual expertise to the Board. Her participation will be instrumental to the LHIN’s strategic decision-making on local health care issues.
Ms. Pamela Griffith-Jones is the CEO of Nieuport Aviation Infrastructure Partners, which owns and operates the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport passenger terminal.
Prior to joining Nieuport Aviation, Pamela worked at the Greater Toronto Airports Authority where she was the Chief Commercial and Marketing Officer and then subsequently Vice President, Guest and Terminal Services. Pamela’s other work experiences include 14 years at Canadian Tire. Pamela was also a member of the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Board of Directors from 2006-2015.
“I want to thank Dr. Goel and Ms. Griffith-Jones for taking on these new important leadership roles in their community's health care. I look forward to working with them as Ontario’s health care system transforms to become more integrated and patient-focused."
- Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care
“I am honoured to have been appointed as the Chair of the Toronto Central LHIN Board of Directors. I look forward to building on my experience in health services and population health to work with our partners to continue to improve the quality and efficiency of health services for residents of the region."
- Dr. Vivek Goel, Chair, Toronto Central LHIN Board of Directors
“I am excited to join the Toronto Central LHIN Board of Directors at this unique time of healthcare transition. As a former hospital Board member, I am looking forward to bringing my skills and experience to the work of the Board.”
- Pamela Griffith-Jones, Director, Toronto Central LHIN Board of Directors
- Members of the Toronto Central LHIN Board of Directors are responsible for directing the LHIN’s affairs, its direction and policies and providing oversight in accordance with applicable legislation, approved strategic and business plans, and accountability agreements with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- The Chair and the Directors are appointed based on their expertise, experience, leadership skills and the needs of the LHIN and, through the Chair, are accountable to the Minister of Health and Long-Term Care.
- Directors are appointed by an Order-in-Council through a process administered by the Public Appointment Secretariat for a term of up to three years, and may be appointed for one further term.
- The Toronto Central LHIN’s Board of Directors includes:
- Dr. Vivek Goel, Chair
- John Fraser, Vice, Chair
- Carol Perry, Director
- Yasmin Meralli, Director
- Maurice Hudon, Director
- Felix Wu, Director
- Christopher Hoffmann, Director
- Pamela Griffith-Jones
About the Toronto Central LHIN
Toronto Central LHIN has the highest concentration of health services in Ontario with more than 170 health service providers delivering 210 programs. The Toronto Central LHIN is responsible for planning, integrating and funding local health services that meet the needs of 1.2 million residents and thousands of other Ontarians who come to Toronto for care.
For more information contact:
Toronto Central LHIN